Immigration Direct

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Adjustment of Status Form I-485 Questions

What is Adjustment of Status Form I-485?
Adjustment of status is a process which allows non-immigrants in the United States to adjust and change their non-immigrant status to immigrant status, if they belong to an eligible category. If you feel that you are eligible for adjustment of status, you may file the USCIS Form I-485.
When to File an I-485 Adjustment of Status Application?
You can file the I-485 once you received the I-130 or I-140 receipt notice from the USCIS. The priority date determines the visa availability. For relative petitions, the priority date is the date when the I-130 immigrant petition form was properly filed. For employment-based petitions, the priority date is the date from the labor certification that was filed with the Department of Labor (DOL), or the date that the I-140 immigrant petition was filed with the USCIS (if no labor certification was required).  The priority date becomes "current" when there is a visa available.  If the priority date is current, you may file for Adjustment of Status during the month when the priority date is current. The State Department issues a document each month called the Visa Bulletin that lists the current priority dates for each immigrant preference category.  There are also special situations, such as the diversity visa lottery, registry, and asylum that permit filing for adjustment of status within specified timeframes.

No comments:

Post a Comment